Saturday, November 8, 2008

Ask Not What God Can Do for You But What You Can Do For God!!!


Today Ray and I watched Amazing Grace the story of William Wilberforce. I have wanted to watch this movie since it game out in the theaters and then again on DVD, but just never have had the time to get the video or actually sit down and watch it. I have to say I was quite moved by Wilberforce's story and how he used his new found love in Christ to achieve extraordinary accomplishments within the British Parliament and his country. I believe like Wilberforce, that we can achieve great things through Christ who strengthens us. The story also briefly touches the life of Rev. John Newton who was a sea captain and slave trader and later became an Anglican priest. Rev. Newton is the writer of the hymn that has been heard throughout the world "Amazing Grace". Wilberforce, Rev. Newton and many other great men were instrumental in the cause for the abolition of the slave trade in England. The hymn "Amazing Grace" known by so many of us clearly speaks out God's love for us and despite our shortcomings and sins, His forgiveness is unending and His grace so completely amazing. I've done so many things throughout my life that I'm not very proud of, but I know because I have given these things to the one that gave His only son for me that my chains are gone and I am completely set free from them. God forgives and gives ALL grace when they confess their sins, accept Him and give their hearts and lives to Him. We all fall short of perfection in God's eyes but it is because of His son's death on the cross that we can someday meet at His feet and fellowship with Him. God also has amazing earthly plans for us as well. He wants to use our talents, our gifts and our willingness to serve Him to achieve great things for our world and it's people. Like William Wilberforce and so many who have listened to God's calling we can achieve great things!! If you notice in the video there are wood burnings in the piano that also give each one of us a message of God's love and purpose for our lives. Have an amazing Saturday and a blessed Sunday! - Sheri

No comments: