Thursday, January 1, 2009

And So It Begins....My Homeschooling Story

I never thought of myself as a homeschool mom. I actually was a working mom for five years. When my middle son was born, my husband and I decided that I would stay at home and raise the boys. It was an interesting journey for me as I was not a domestic diva by any means. I was the take-out, box-chef, frozen dinner queen!! I really didn't have time to cook so why buy all the crazy ingredients! I did spend a lot of time with Brandon though, reading, playing educational games, and talking to him which I now know was something that would lay a foundation for him as he started going to school. I was "homeschooling" him and didn't even know it at the time.

Kindgergarten was great for Brandon as he excelled above the other kiddos because he could already read and his teachers were amazing in making sure that he was challenged. When he started first grade, the trouble began and the teacher not only refused to give him harder work, she insisted that because he was a first grader he needed to read first grade books, not the science and mystery books that he was reading at home. That said, Brandon was bored and we started courting the possibility of homeschooling him. We had several friends that homeschooled and so we were able to tap in to all the resources available. We also learned about all the amazing curriculums out there. When we learned about Abeka and other curriculum that was Christian base, that made the aspect of homeschooling even more appealing!! After spending tons of time on the internet, we found what we wanted and started homeschooling him in second grade.

My first year was a rocky one...and I imagine any professional teacher that you talk to would also probably tell you the same thing. As I blog away on this homeschooling blog, I will share with you things that we have learned during our homeschooling journey as well as books, videos, and much more. I will also share our struggles and how we overcame them!! I encourage you to comment and share your ideas as well so that we can all work together to give our children the best education possible. I have now been teaching my children for 5 1/2 years. I also will be interviewing other homeschool moms!!! Welcome to The Homeschooling Princess!!

No comments: